4.6.11

Estate Sales - Day 1

It has been a LONG time since I've been out to estate and garage sales. But this weekend the hubs and I are trying to stock the shop to help us with extra sales until he goes back to school. Today apparently was all about shoes. 60s, 70s and 80s shoes. Most of them with their original boxes. Shoes are not usually something I stock in the shop because of the dedicated shoe shops on etsy (like lisazain and old baltimore) but I could not pass up all these gorgeous goodies, sitting unloved, quite literaly. Most of them are unworn. I think the entire collection is from 1woman, they were all from the early to mid 60s through the late 80s, early 90s. All sizes 8.5-9.5. I grabbed mostly 9's. But lets start at the beginning.
First we went to a widowed woman's estate sale. A large house in a gated community way up on the hill. Very la-tee-dah and how-do-you-do. It was a mostly empty house with lots of artwork and kitchenware and then in the basement there was a huge room full of silk flower arrangements. My guess is she had a business at one time. It took me forever to find the clothes. In fact it was the only place in the house I hadn't been yet. I turned the corner and through this huge bathroom was a walk in closet lined with 70s, 80s and 90s clothing and tons of shoes. Unfortunately most of the clothing was already hauled away to the thriftstore..why you would do that before you have an estate sale I'm not sure. But they had a few pieces worth picking up so I did. Some for the shop, and some decor for my house. Here are some of the things I picked up.
two of a "day" set (of 4) I am in love with these art nouveau lithographs absolutely stole my heart
some great boots and silver and gold tennis shoes

rabbit fur slippers!


My first Lilli Diamond find, this one was worn as a wedding dress and it is truly stunning in person.
Then we hit up a 10 house "community" garage sale. We have lots of those around here and I found a few odds and ends including some jewelry and a display hanger (or 3) from a shop that was the place to go back in the day. The Crescent. It has since been closed down and is now used for office space...so sad.
Next the hubs and I hopped on craig's list and found a "multi estate sale" which to me looked more like a bunch of vendors getting together, which is fine with me because this happened:
this is just a section of the piles and piles of shoes, almost all of them with their original boxes. Soo.....I had to buy some....lots of them.




Probably more than I should've... I went back to get more. So so so pretty. I especially love the flats. Gorgeous! And tomorrow...er, later today we're going to get up and do it all over again. :D

I'm going to try to have these in the shop really soon. I've already got photos for the flats and I'm going to be doing lots and lots of photos on this lovely, warm weekend. :)
See you all soon!

4 comments:

Apothecary Inn said...

I LOVE Lilli Diamond! I found my first dress at a "yard sale" (though the woman sure wasn't using YARD SALE prices!!), and snatched it up! It was a slinky lipstick-red number with rhinestone straps and dotted all over with rhinestones. Also came with a matching red satin overcoat. YUM!

Congrats on your scores! They are all fab!!! :) Estate sale-hopping is SO much fun!

Dolly the Bird said...

I love that Lilli Diamond! Picked up my first about a month ago at the Habitat For Humanity Charity Shop for $7. Black, bell sleeved maxi with a bright pink and green hibiscus applique.
At estate sales in my area, you NEVER find clothes. In fact, when we were selling my grandparents' estate last year, they actually told us at the very start to go ahead and take all the clothes to Goodwill because they didn't deal with clothes! WTH??? Luckily, of course, my Mama D had a grandaughter who loved the stuff and I grabbed up all the vintage lovelies before the rest was trucked away!

Eartha Kitsch said...

Well hello but what a day! I can't believe all of those beautiful shoes especially!

art deco dame said...

great finds!I have the same gold Penaljos in my shop but they're itty bitty size.